|Castle Douglas Railway Station 1894|
The above plan of Castle Douglas railway station is based on the 1894 25 inch to the mile maps, by printing and pasting two adjacent sheets. It can be compared with the six inch to the mile map below which shows the layout as it was in 1864, just after the branch to Kirkcudbright was opened. The Kirkcudbright branch diverges to the bottom left hand corner. Above it is the Portpatrick (and Stranraer) Railway which was opened in 1862.
|Castle Douglas Railway Station 1864|
In 1864, the Kirkcudbright branch joined the Portpatrick Railway some distance from the station. The junction was then changed so the lines diverged within the station. The dotted line of the town boundary shows the original route of the road from Dumfries into the town before it was diverted around the station.
This photograph shows the track formation.The line to Stranraer and Portpatrick enters from the left, the line from Kirkcudbright on the right.The path on the right gave access to Signal Box No. 2.
|Castle Douglas station track formation|
By 1959 the layout had been simplified, although the over-bridge was still double span. The next photograph shows a train taking the Kirkcudbright branch in 1959.
|Castle Douglas station looking west 1959. Kirkcudbright train departing.|
Finally, between 1959 and 1965 when the line closed, the track layout was further simplified and one span of the over-bridge filled in.
|Castle Douglas station looking east with bridge reduced to one span.|